Thursday, May 11, 2017

Dear Family and Friends,

Variety is the Spice of Life:

1.      Sometimes we go up and talk to someone and start asking them about their life and they explain how much they need the church in their life and how they want to get baptized that day.  True thing! Story of Michelle and Rooino 
2.      Sometimes we walk up to people who clearly are not interested but who still talk to us and schedule a lesson and then just don't show up.  It is hard for them to be honest to our face.
3.      And sometimes we have just crazy people - like John Jaques.  So excited to talk to us.  He shared a scripture with us in Tahitian about Adam and how we all die.   Then he explained why he loves Adam.  Then, he read the creation story and said why Adam lived so long... he said a pool of water like a swimming pool was over his head always.  And how Asians live so long because of their hats that protect them from the sun.  LOL this is why it is so hard to understand at times-- they speak two different languages and they talk about things like this!!!! hahaha

We have every type of Christian here on the Island in abundance.  Pentacostals, Seventh Day Adventists, Catholics, RLDS, Protestant, and some others.
     *  So we had some time between lessons and we are with two members- our two regular Brothers who usually come with us.  So we drop down into this ravine by a Rugby field in the middle of the jungle, and there is this tiny hut that doesn’t seem like anyone lives there but my comp said a Papi lives there.  And Voila, he walks out with his dogs. He’s named Papi Desire, pronounced Tetire.  He speaks only Tahitian like some of the Papis here and that means I am pretty lost in the conversation.  But it was really important to me to be engaged so I am praying really hard just to know how I personally can bring the spirit and what small thing I can share.  We are all huddled under the shade of the tin shack and he is sitting in the dirt with his super sick dogs.  (Lessons like this are when I usually get attacked the most by bugs)  And five minutes into the lesson, a massive pig runs out the forest past us and into the house... all my comp said was "he was smaller last time I saw him”  ….hmm.  So when there is a lag in the conversation, I just jumped in and asked him to read a scripture about Christ in Mosiah,  I really like bearing Testimony of Christ.  And he reads it and I add what I can in Tahitian and then I wait.  I couldn’t tell if he didn’t understand what I said, or if he was thinking about it.  But then he asked for a paper to write it down so he could study the Book of Mormon later that night and if we could come back again.  We scheduled another time as I heard some more squealing pig sounds and looked up to see another massive pig run out from the forest with 3 baby pigs in tow.  Despite the circumstances-- when we left, my comp said she had never had him show any interest in the BOM or ask for the missionaries to come back. It definitely wasn’t my ability to understand this man or his language that helped him connect with the scriptures but rather my desire to bring the spirit ... and Heavenly Father's knowledge of Papi Desire in the ravine and what things he needs to hear and when.  I love that!  And I have such a strong testimony about the power of the Spirit. 
As Missionaries, we have more rules to help us be set apart and to be closer to the Spirit. We have the capacity, but often I need to remember to call on that power during the day.  And when I do, I feel the guidance and power of the Spirit working in the lives of these loving, hilarious people.  

I try not to gush about the members here too much.  But this ward is full of champs. We get to have the Bishop and members come every Tuesday to a lesson.  We have members from YW, New converts, moms and dads stop us on the road and ask to come with us. And a lot of the times they help us get in houses and translate the old people Tahitian with no teeth.  

Here is my address, if you’d like to send me a real letter😊

L'elgise de Jesus-Christ de Saint De Dernier Jours
BP 93 Mission Mormone
Cours de L'union Sacree
Papeete 98714 French Polynesia

If you know me, I love to read.  And getting an hour to read the scriptures and study them while thinking about our investigators and how I can use these things in the day is the best thing ever. I really love the scriptures and their power.

Back to the good work with my companion and the Tahitian People!
All my love!
Sr Spencer 

*Brooke couldn't upload pictures this week but I found this article from the Church News talking about the church bus in Fa'a'a:)


No comments:

Post a Comment