Thursday, November 16, 2017

Cannabalism is old news

Nov 13th, 2017

Dear Family and Friends
Sector of Papeari= getting soaking wet.  We are in a rainy, jungle sector.  Good thing I'm an Oregonian, born and raised ;)

I met three powerful, humble, dedicated families who work with us whenever they can here.  Gosh, I love them so much. Our dear Clem, an ancient missionaire is our constant 3 companion. Best way to put it, she is spilling over with the love of Christ.

 
This week I was reminded of the deep and lasting impact that members have in the lives of nonmembers.  For good and bad.  Several amis here will not continue the lessons because they have seen members of the church living very unworthily.  Not only does our example influence our family and neighbors but it influences the chance that others have to accept the gospel.  We will never live perfect lives, but I am sure we can live more worthily.  We all are wearing a badge with the Savior's name on it.  Continue to repent, continue to share all that God has given you. 

We did have a lesson with an ami who comes from the Marquises.  She did most the talking though, This week she had to tell her daughter the truth..., that their family
​comes from a line of cannibals😬  She then asked a lot of questions about the legality of cannabalism :/ yeesh, don't want my parents to pull me aside to have a talk about our cannibalistic ancestors.
We did have a baptism. Um, it took 6x.  But luckily everyone was patient.

New way to do knocking.  We drive through the jungle, all the dogs come and try to attack us.  We drive up on somebodies property, we yell Iorana! As loud as we can from out the window until someone comes and shoos the dogs away, then we come out of the car.  I like it. 


Our morning jogs are along the road and into Taravao.  We see little crabs scuttling over the road all the time, and our end destination is... the prison.  Super rad haha
We chase chickens out of our houses daily.  The houses are much humbler here.  One of our powerful members has a house of one room, made of plywood.  The walls are gaping in some parts.  This is a sink but no shower or toilet.  We ate with her and the other sister missionaries on her bed.  She loves the Savior and his work.  Pride is a dangerous thing for those of us who have all of our needs and a lot of our wants taken care of.  Stay humble please.
We are in a car now!
Thank you so much for visiting Sydnee and Audrey.  I love them both very much.  I miss my family crew!!

Love,
Soeur Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment