Sunday, May 13, 2018

YOMO- You Only Mission Once




Dear Family and Friends,

 Miracles with Maeva. Maeva is one of the four branch missionaries.  She loves the Savior and has let this love and faith cast out her doubts.  She cares for a severely handicapped son, as well as her other children.  She is the Young Women's President. Her husband works all day and is not interested in helping Maeva with the kids or the church.  But Maeva lets nothing stop her.  Even if her kids are sick and she hasn't slept for 4 nights, she comes to multiple lessons a day.  She is clearly guided by the spirit, and has borne several powerful testimonies in lessons that help the amis understand and believe.  She is a beautiful example of our Older Brother, Jesus Christ.

Experience: After studying Preach My Gospel one morning, I came across the line about praying for power to convert these people.  Alma in Alma 31: 35 said "voici O Seigneur, leur ame est précieuse, c'est pourquoi, donne-nous, du pouvoir et de la sagesse, afin que nous te ramenions ceux-ci, qui sont nos frères".  Ensuite, I prayed for this power and wisdom, that we may be able to discern the needs of the amis and convince them of the importance of this message.

     The next day we tried to find a reference, but only her daughter-in- law was there.  So we asked to share a message.  She said she wasn't interested but I felt that we needed to be persistent.  We asked to know her favorite scripture in the Bible and then I felt the door open.  I shared my favorite scripture in the Book of Mormon and bore testimony sincerely of why I wanted to share these things with her.  She accepted another lesson.
   
 Later that day we had the same situation.  We took 30 minutes to bike with a member, to this reference's house.  When we arrived, the person took 15 minutes to tell us why she didn't want the Lessons and how she didn't want to fix another appointment.  Sr Kendall and I felt again this need to continue, so we asked the right questions that helped us to understand and explain the solutions to her preoccupations.  She wept with us as she finally recognized the importance of these lessons.  We look forward to the next lesson. 
   
 In multiple other instances our first contact with amis, led to their recounting personal experiences of conversion to God, or seeing a miracle.  Tears were shed in each of these accounts and we know that we were given the convincing power of the spirit this week. 
No secrets, just a simple truth.  Sincere desire, praying and fasting, followed by working will bring the convincing power of the spirit into our lives and allow us to share this light.

sometimes we wake just saying "wow", Sr. Kendall and I still can't believe we live here.  



The month of May is the season for Wasps of Unusual Size.  Luckily we have our Electric Bug Killing Tennis Racket.
Our sector is the whole island, so we spend some quality time on bikes :)  I still need to do some mechanic work on my bike, so a member lent me their Bike Cruiser from the 1980's,  hahaha it quite the leg workout!  At least, it's not the style: one big wheel in the front and a tiny wheel in the back!! Counting my many blessings.   



The Branch President is wonderful.   He follows the directives, haha what a relief!
We had some delicious Hima'a cooked Octopus this week with President de Branch.  Hima'a is a giant hole in the ground where they traditionally cook a whole pig or Fruits wrapped in banana leaves.  We eat most meals with our hands hahaha I hope my caveman habits will be accepted when I get back home.  Mom, any complaints?



SR. Kendall and I are doing welllllll.  we got 5 cakes for her birthday, and have eattin the equivalent of thanksgiving dinner, 4 times this week.  Haha and saying no, burns bridges with members.  So Faaoroma'i :) 

Merci beaucoup pour vos exemples!!!! I love you all very much!!
So proud of everything Logan and Jessie are accomplishing!!
Love, Sr Spencer  

No comments:

Post a Comment