Saturday, March 17, 2018

Tupohe'tu :)


Dear Family and Friends,

The miracle this week is that Sr Toofa and I get to stay together at Papeari! That means I will stay in this sector for at least 6 months, which I really hoped for!  Down to one American in the house, and it's me:) I got my lovely Tahitian sisters living here in Papeari now :)


We had a fun stake activity, where everyone finished reading the Book of Mormon together and then reenacted with skits the events in the BoM.  I'm proud of our stake for reading the
Book of Mormon in 3 months! As well as several of our amis.  I'm working on finishing up the Book of Mormon in French.  Next big challenge is to start in Tahitian ahh. Faitoito.
 
Sr Toofa and I believe sincerely in the power of fasting and praying, as we seek the help of our Heavenly Father in our sector.  I have recognized during the mission just how many references there are in the Book of Mormon to fasting and praying. One of my favorites is in Heleman 3:35. NEVERTHELESS their tough circumstances, they fasted and prayed OFTEN, and were strengthened and purified.  Moi, jaime bien. 

We get together with the women in the community to do sport together every Thursday, which mixes things up.  I totally love their enthusiasm, and wow, Tahitians can Dance!!
I really love the elders and sisters in this mission.  I look up to so many who have come and gone and those that are still here serving with me.  


Our amis push forward, and several are working towards their baptism "one day".  They often are concerned that their family will abandon them, and since they are single mothers with kids, that is a very real problem in Tahiti.  But I admire their strength.  One woman named Timeri is single mother with two kids. We went over to her house to talk to a mami, but ended up teaching her the restoration. The spirit was present and we engaged her to pray on her knees, and ask God if Joseph Smith was chosen as prophet.  She accepted and we fixed another lesson.  It's been  2 1/2 months since that lesson and we finally fixed another visit. We started with a follow up on her commitment to pray,  (and at this moment, as a missionary, you always hold your breath hoping to hear that they actually prayed and that they got an answer, and preparing for your response if they hadn't followed through).  And Timeri said, "Yes I prayed right after the lessons, on my knees, for the first time in my life, and God told me in my heart that Joseph Smith was a prophet."  As a missionary we're kind of shocked at that point but it's the BEST feeling ever! To know that God will always answer the prayers of the humble searchers of truth. And that Timeri really is seeking to know God. We hope that even with her family, who are against her baptism, that she will have the courage to be baptized.  

Super proud of my mission Trainer and her wedding! Congrats Sr Durrant!!

I love you all! Sorry for my spacy emails! 

Love Sr Spencer 

No comments:

Post a Comment